One of the most common occurring crimes is vehicle burglaries and thefts. Listed below are some suggestions for the citizens of our community to use in an effort to reduce these offenses.
- Never leave the keys in your vehicle.
- Always lock the doors, even when you are away from the vehicle for a short time.
- Remove items (purses, tapes, CD's, books, cash, etc.) from the vehicle when possible. If you can't take them out, put them in a place that is out of view (in the trunk or tool box)
- Remove "pull-out" style stereos and/or removable faceplates of stereos. (if equipped)
- Park in lighted areas.
- Park in garages or on driveways or near your house or apartment so that the vehicle can be viewed periodically.
- Register the vehicle in the C.A.T. (Combat Auto Theft) program. This allows a decal to be placed on your vehicle that authorizes any police agency to stop the vehicle when it is seen on any street in Florida between the hours of 1 AM to 5 AM.
Other vehicle security considerations:
- Steering wheel lock bar or steering column locking cover.
- "Engine kill" switch.
- Car alarm.